If you've been in content marketing for any length of time, you've likely heard a common term called repurposed content. If you're hearing it for the first time, or if you've always wondered what it is, know this - it's a necessary part of any content strategy. It also provides marketers with many benefits, especially those with limited time to create content.
Repurposed content is taking an existing piece of content and using it to create other types of content. For example, you could write a blog about ice cream recipes. After you post that blog:
1. You take a recipe and create graphic to share on social media
2. You then record a podcast episode and discuss the different recipes
3. You create an infographic showing the steps to creating one of the ice cream recopies
4. You produce a slide show featuring the different recipes
5. You produce a quick video showing how to make a recipe, a montage of ice cream creations mentioned in the blog, etc.
The 1-5 steps came from creating that one ice cream blog...
and made us all hungry for ice cream!Other ideas for creating repurposed contentOne reason why repurposed content is so critical today is marketing departments need to evolve into publishing departments. You can't rely on just one form of content (like blogs or print). Your audience consists of people who:
1. Don't like to read
2. Have short attention spans
3. Are having ads, CTAs, content, photos and the kitchen sink thrown at them online
4. Consume content different from other people
Also keep in mind it doesn't have to start with a blog. You could create a video featuring a conversation or sharing some valuable insights. Then:
1. Take the audio from that video and turn it into a podcast episode
2. Cut the video up into smaller quick-hit insight videos and spread them out on social media
3. Take the highlights from the video and write a blog (and feature the video on the same post)
Repurposed content gives you a path to maximizing your reach. Here are some repurposed content strategies from experts:
Colin Gray explains How to Repurpose Content for Your Blog and Beyond
Hubspot shares 12 Great Examples of Repurposed Content
Syed Balkhi (Entrepreneur) explains How to Repurpose Marketing Content for Small Business
Ann Smarty shares ideas for Repurposing Videos Into Many Forms of Valuable Content
Companies are learning that they can rely on just one way to connect and communicate with their target audiences. Podcasts have moved from being a fringe form of content to a popular mainstream form of media.
As with any form of emerging content trends, businesses are trying to find ways to incorporate podcasting into their content marketing strategies. In this video, I share a couple of ways that I produced podcasts for businesses to help generate some ideas beyond interviews and discussions.
Talking about conceptual creativity, engaging content and pop culture.